Home » About
Us » History
First Pentecost Assemblies International Church, formerly
named Greater Mount Sinai Missionary Baptist Church, began on August 8,
1964 with services held at the home of Mother Mary Myles on 629 South
Woodlawn Avenue in Chicago, Illinois. Reverend John Smith Jr. presided
over the Greater Mount Sinai ministry until Reverend Cleophus Todd officially
became Pastor. Pastor Todd soon relocated the Greater Mount Sinai ministry
to 1142 West 69th Street in Chicago. His very first message as Pastor
in this new location was "If you make a start, God will make a way"
In October of 1979, the church was renamed First Pentecost
Missionary Baptist Church. During this time, Pastor Todd envisioned building
a new church edifice for the Lord, and soon after, the church relocated
to a storefront location on 1835 West 63rd Street in Chicago. After many
years presiding over the First Pentecost ministry and failing health,
Pastor Todd sought the Lord for a new vessel to care for the souls of
On August 30, 1992, Elder Ernest Owens was installed as the Pastor of
First Pentecost Missionary Baptist Church. As one of God's chosen vessels,
Pastor Owens brought a fresh anointing to the First Pentecost ministry.
As the membership increased and the small storefront church was filled
to capacity, Pastor Owens sought the Lord for a new church location.
November of 1999, First Pentecost Missionary Baptist Church relocated
to its current location at 14543-59 Green Street in Harvey, Illinois.
Under the leadership of Pastor Ernest Owens and with the guidance of the
Holy Spirit, our church family has increased not only in members, but
in strength, wisdom, and most of all in faith. A powerful and dynamic
speaker with a passion for God, Pastor Owens teaches and delivers God's
word in a way that penetrates the heart and touches the spirit. As the
Lord continues to give revelation and Vision to our Pastor, the First
Pentecost ministry continues to press toward the mark.
In November 2002,
our church name was changed to First Pentecost Assemblies International
Church. So what's in the name? Our name change is evidence of the greater
works we will do in the name of Christ Jesus. Further evidence of
God's hand on our church ministry was seen on May 29, 2005, when our Pastor
was elevated to the office of Bishop.
We thank God for what He has already done, for what He is currently doing,
and for what's to come. "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, There is